Monday, March 16, 2009

Swimming 101





As some of you know, I was a swimming instructor for years. I have seen a few drownings in my life which I don't really like to remember. As you also know, I have a little Hurricane that has no fear. Her newest thing is walking down the stairs unassisted. So, after much thought, Matt and I enrolled her in a Survival Swimming Class. The class doesn't really teach her to swim per say but it will teach her how to save herself for when she jumps into the pool. The instructor explained to us that she probably won't be able to swim at the end of it but she should be able to float unassisted on her back and possibly roll over to a swim to reach the side of the pool. Matt and I agreed that we would be satisfied with her just being able to float.

So, Matt and I headed with Hurricane to 119 for our new adventure. We were really nervous about how Hurricane was going to act. But, SHE LOVED IT!! The instructor was very impressed with her coordination (at 14 1/2 months) and thinks that she may be able to do more than float by the end of the lessons.

1 comment:

Sandy Lovell said...

Oh! This is such a great thing to do. I saw a video on the Intranet about this and was so amazed at how well it worked. I am so glad LeLe is enjoying it and will learn to take care of herself. keep us posted!!